Vehicle Standards for Buses
These publications from VicRoads outline the standards applicable to buses in Victoria:
- Licenced passenger vehicles standards – buses – [ PDF 3.61MB ] (Download Help)
- Mass and dimension limits for buses
- Vehicle dimension limits – [ PDF 601KB ] (Download Help)
Modifications must not adversely affect the structural integrity of the vehicle, its handling characteristics or compliance with the relevant standards for registration.
VicRoads provides information on construction standards and requirements for vehicle modifications:
- Vehicle standards information
- Guide to modifications for motor vehicles – [ PDF 1.06MB ] (Download Help)
- Summary of the Australian Design Rules for vehicles – [ PDF 1.44MB ] (Download Help)
It is important to spend time planning and researching modifications to vehicles. Plans should be checked and approved before implementation to ensure they meet current standards. The Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) is a scheme managed by VicRoads for the certification of modified, imported and individually constructed vehicles in Victoria.
To register a modified vehicle, an approval certificate must be obtained from an approved VASS authority – [ PDF 61KB ] (Download Help). See Registration and maintenance of a bus or van for more information.